ShadowExplorer program allows to browse through Shadow Copies of your files created by the Windows Volume Shadow Copy Service. If ransomware or other malware failed to eliminate Windows Shadow Copies on your computer, there is a chance that you can recover encrypted or damaged files and folders.
1. Visit official website to download ShadowExplorer installation package. (http://www.shadowexplorer.com/uploads/ShadowExplorer-0.9-setup.exe)
2. Open the downloaded .exe installation file. Click Run button in the Security Warning window.
3. Select your desired language.
4. Click Next button to proceed.
5. Read and accept the License Agreement. Tick the “I accept the agreement” check box, and then click Next button.
6. Select installation drive and directory or simply leave the default installation folder unchanged. Click Next button to proceed.
7. Click Next button to continue.
8. Click Next to create ShadowExplorer desktop icon.
9. Click Install button to continue with the installation.
10. Wait until the ShadowExplorer installation is complete.
11. Click Finish button to close Setup Wizard. If you leave the check box checked, ShadowExplorer program will start automatically. Also after successfully installing ShadowExplorer, you can find a shortcut on your desktop or in your start menu.
Our short video guide shows how to restore your files or folders from one of the available point-in-time Shadow Copies.
[lyte id=”VlcKJ-2mEg0″ /]
ShadowExplorer User’s Guide:
1. Start ShadowExplorer program.
2. Open the drop down list of your system folders and files. Select from one of the available point-in-time Shadow Copies (prior to the malware infection or system failure).
3. Right-click any folder or file and export it.
4. Select a folder where the files from the Shadow Copy will be saved to. Click OK button.
5. Wait until the retrieval process is complete.
6. If a file or folder in the destination directory already exists, ShadowExplorer will ask for confirmation before overwriting. If you check mark the “Do not show this dialog again” check box, this message will not be shown again.